Home > What’s new in SteelSmart System 7
What’s new in SteelSmart System 7
- New Design Codes and Specifications:
- 2012 International Building Code and ASCE 7-10
- Canadian 2010 National Building Code
- AISI S100-07 with 2010 Supplement
- Updated Load Generator and Distributor
- ASCE 7-10 is introduced within the Wind and Seismic tabs
- Snow load calculations have been added to the load generator and distributor for all editions of ASCE 7.
- BuckleBridge bridging for Curtain Wall design has been added as an alternative bridging method
- New high seismic HD clips are available for design. Clips have been fully integrated with the Drawing Generator and new fastener patterns
- Back-to-back and toe-to-toe section configurations have been added to the Floor Framing Roof Framing design modules
- VertiClip® SLS for attachment to steel beams is now available based on stud depth and clip length
- Updated Graphical User Interface (GUI)
- Updated load combinations referenced from IBC 2012 and ASCE 7-10
- Updated allowable loads for various clip connectors
- Enhancements to Design report and Drawing Generator
- Enhancements to Moment-Resisting Short Wall design module
Service Pack 1
- Updated “Special Seismic Design” in the Shear Wall Module
- Updated “Fastener Design” in the Curtain Wall Module
- Updated 2013 Hilti fastener database
- Updated “Bridging Connection” design for studs
- Jambs with Standard section database now includes both back-to-back and toe-to-toe layouts
- ASCE 7-10 wind maps now correspond to Building Risk Category
- Several Enhancements to the Graphical Interface, Output Report, and Drawing Generator
Service Pack 2
- Updated JamStud® nomenclature.
- Updated the databases of Standard (S) and (T) sections.
- Unified the design of wall bridging for all supported design codes to be based on the AISI S100-12 Specification and the AISI S211-07 Standard.
- Revision of the design module for the connection of wall clip to structure to account for minimum fastener spacing recommended by manufacturer, and introducing the calculation of shear and tensile available strengths of PAFs driven into steel substrate in accordance with the new relevant provisions in the AISI S100-12 Specification.
- Significant enhancements in the X-Brace Shear Wall component including the consideration of Special Seismic Requirements in accordance with the AISI S213-07 Standard instead of the AISI 2004 Standard for Lateral Design, unifying the calculation of the available tensile strength of flat strap plates and the available shear strength of bolts connecting boots to columns to be in accordance with the AISI S100-12 Specification, and making the design of anchorage to foundations as optional, and introducing new Mechanical Anchors and Hilti Epoxy Anchors for this connection.
- Revision of load cases and combinations for the Roof Rafters and Roof Trusses components.
- Adding an option to laterally brace the web/diagonal members of roof trusses @ specified intervals when the member length exceeds a selected value.
- Introducing the new StiffClip® HE(S) for connection of headers with short depths (e.g. TSN JamStud Header) to jambs.
- Revisions of available load tables for DriftClip® DSLS and StiffClip® CL.
- Significant enhancements in the lateral load distribution on shear walls in the Load Generator tool by adding newer loading cases for seismic loads, and replacing the existing loading cases for wind loads to be in accordance with Section 188.8.131.52 ASCE 7-05 or Section 27.4.6 ASCE 7-10.
Basic Software Modules
Choose from a wide-variety of common curtain wall applications, such as bypass, infill, spandrel, parapet, and opening conditions. Complete the assembly with TSN’s connections and Hilti’s fasteners.
Load Bearing Wall
Optimize load bearing stud elements in low and mid-rise structures. Select from Standard sections or the optimal SigmaStud® section.
X-Brace Shear Wall
Shear wall design is simplified with the power of SSS 7. Newly added special seismic design requirements provide clients with multiple design options.
Choose from TSN’s PrimeJoist® or Standard sections to quickly select a steel-framed floor system.
Design roof rafters and joists quickly and easily with SteelSmart® System’s Roof Module.
Select from a variety of common trusses, or create your own truss to design the members, connections, fasteners, and lateral bracing elements.
Moment Resisting Short Wall
Simplify and optimize the design and construction of a short wall or half wall in residential and commercial cold formed steel framing.
Advanced Software Modules
Lateral Load Generator/Distributor
The Lateral Load Generator/Distributor tool uses the dimensions and load specification for a building and calculates the total lateral wind and seismic loads according to ASCE 7 Standard “Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures”.
Plots framing layout of the wall and adds the connection design data (clip designation, number of fasteners, embedment, and screw pattern) to the typical connection detail. The drawing also includes framing members’ cross-sections and shapes. The drawing can be exported in AutoCAD®;DXF format.
Advanced Structural Analysis
Extreme Loading® for Structures Software or ELS, is an advanced non-linear structural analysis software tool designed specifically for structural engineers. ELS allows structural engineers to study the 3D behavior of structures through both the continuum and discrete stages of loading.